Law Enforcement Officer
Location: Washington, DC
Announcement Number: R024052
Salary: $50,400 - $63,500
Closing Date: January 22, 2024
The incumbent will learn to staff security posts, conduct patrols, enforce Board Security policy, and screen visitors via the magnetometer, x-ray, and hand-held metal detector. The incumbent works shift work to include nights, days, weekends, and holidays and must be able to work overtime with or without advance notice. The incumbent is required to become knowledgeable of and conform to all applicable laws, Board policy, and Unit policy and procedures. Develops judgment to implement and enforce security policies and procedures.
- Staffs a variety of posts on a rotating basis performing work activities such as access control, visitor screening, and foot patrols. Screens visitors and their personal property according to unit policy through the use of screening equipment such as the magnetometer, x-ray machine, and handheld metal detector. Carries and uses a firearm and utilizes defensive and protective equipment. Conducts interior and exterior patrols of Board facilities in order to detect illegal or prohibited activity, potential fire hazards, and accident hazards.
- Operates a variety of computerized systems to include the CCure system, work scheduler, and the visitor registration system. Makes emergency notifications to Board staff as directed. Maintains logs and journals, conducts preliminary investigations under direction of senior officer and/or supervisor, and prepares clear, accurate and understandable reports as called for by unit policy.
- Responds to incidents and emergency situations and provides assistance with emergency services such as administering First Aid, CPR, AED; and building evacuations. At direction of supervisors, makes a determination when other police, fire, and rescue personnel should be notified and asked to provide assistance to the Board.
- Monitors the radio system and receives calls for service. Dispatches calls for service to officers via the radio system in a clear and understandable voice.
- Develops and maintains a sound knowledge of and conforms to Board and unit policies and procedures. Stays abreast of all updates and or changes. Learns and conforms to applicable laws that apply to the Board's enforcement of laws and stays current as to changes or updates to such laws. Enforces federal criminal laws and the D.C. criminal and traffic code within the jurisdiction of the Board in accordance with Board and unit policy.
- Works rotating shifts, weekends and holidays as dictated by the unit's need to provide sufficient security coverage on a 24 hour, 7 days a week basis. Overtime is often required without advanced notice. In emergency or unusual situations, may be required to work extended hours.
- Works with the general public, Board staff, and visitors to the Board utilizing sound customer service skills while also effectively performing the security aspects of the job. Effectively communicates with customers and co-workers and projects a positive and professional image while performing duties.