Academic Support & Career Development Unit (ASCDU)
Tutorial Program Work Opportunities
The ASCDU is in need of high achieving students with an interest in education and experience tutoring to provide tutorial support for diverse group of student-athletes. This is a paid position and requires a minimum of 4 hours a week. Tutorial sessions are primarily held during the evenings (5:00pm to 9:00pm) but limited daytime hours are also available.
As policy, the ASCDU does not employ Freshmen as tutors because of the limited experience with UMD coursework. We are looking for tutors in a variety of subject areas/levels and available hours typically Monday-Friday mornings 8:00-10:00AM and Sunday-Thursday evenings 6:00-10:00PM. The hourly pay rate is as follows and set by institutional guidelines: $8.00/hr. for sophomores; $8.50/hr. for juniors; $9.00/hr. for seniors; and $10.00/hr. for graduate level students.
Details about the position:
- Tutors work with student-athletes both individually and/or in small groups to facilitate the learning of course specific material and skills.
- The majority of tutorial sessions are 60 minute/1 hour in duration.
- At the end of each tutorial session, the tutor will be required to submit a brief session report.
- Tutors typically work between 4 and 10 hours a week. The amount of weekly hours depends of the tutor’s schedule, the tutor’s area(s) of expertise, and the student-athlete needs.
- Gossett Football Team House and the Comcast Center.
- ALL tutorial sessions will take place at one of these two locations – no exceptions to this policy.
In Order to Apply, You will Need to:
- Complete an information sheet and questionnaire
- Provide your schedule of availability
- Provide a current and unofficial UMD transcript
- A letter of recommendation form from a faculty member and/or College or Major advisor
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity to make a difference in the life of a Terrapin student-athlete, please contact Sharon Staples, Tutorial Program Coordinator, at email@example.com. If selected as a potential candidate, you will be notified of an interview date.
The University of Maryland at College Park is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity, Title IX employer.