The Joseph M. Mitchell Memorial Scholarship
Academic Year Application & Nomination Forms
Deadline: 11:59 PM Tuesday, July 5, 2016
Eligibility for Award
The Joseph M. Mitchell Memorial Scholarship is one-time award of up to $2,000, dispersed evenly over the fall and spring semesters. The scholarship may be awarded to one or more deserving students. All awards will be directly applied to student accounts. Students may apply and/or be nominated by other individuals. To be eligible for the Scholarship Award, a student must meet the following established criteria:
- Be a registered degree-seeking student at the University of Maryland, College Park during the semester for which the award is made
- Have completed at least one full semester of enrollment at a college or university and/or be enrolled at the time of application
- Have personal or family circumstances that have affected the applicant’s experience at the University of Maryland and that have caused or contributed to a burden that may be remedied in whole or in part by the scholarship award
- Have at least one semester of study left at UMCP before receiving a degree
- Be able to apply the full amount of the award to tuition, living expenses or schooling expenses, such as textbooks or equipment, in the semester for which the scholarship is awarded and as can be disbursed by the Office of Student Financial Aid.
The recipient of each scholarship award also will be expected to:
- Have a demonstrated record of service to people in his/her community(ies), whether past or present
- Participate in service to the University of Maryland community during the semester for which the scholarship award is made, through an action such as tutoring, mentoring a new student, speaking to a student audience, or other similar activity agreed upon by the recipient and the Scholarship Award Committee.
This scholarship will be awarded based on the responses to the application or nomination questions. If necessary, up to three finalists may be invited to meet with the Scholarship Award Committee. Decisions by the Scholarship Award Committee are final. The award recipient will be notified before the start of classes. Questions about the application and award process may be addressed to: Mr. Dai-An Tran at (301) 314-0416. For more information, including the application process, please visit: http://apps.studentaffairs.umd.edu/josephmitchellscholarship/.