Are you a University of Maryland, College Park undergraduate planning to conduct research this summer 2014 under the mentorship of a professor at an Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) University other than UMD?
One (1) grant of $5,000 is available to support one (1) UMD student planning to conduct summer research at an ACC campus (not including Maryland) this summer 2014. This grant will be competitively available to students who have already arranged, or can arrange by April 18, a summer research placement at an ACC University (other than UMD), under the mentorship of a faculty mentor at that University. This funding is being made available through the ACCIAC Summer Collaborative Research Award program of the Inter-institutional Academic Collaborative of the Atlantic Coast Athletic Conference (ACCIAC).
ACC Universities include:
Florida State University
University of Miami
University of North Carolina
North Carolina State University
University of Notre Dame
University of Pittsburgh
University of Virginia
Wake Forest University
You must be an enrolled UMD undergraduate at the time of application, and you must be planning to be an enrolled UMD undergraduate in fall 2014. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required. You must not already have obtained other comparable funding for their proposed summer research experience; students with comparable funding for their summer research experience will not be eligible for this grant.
To apply for consideration please submit the following electronically to email@example.com no later than April 18, 2014, with the subject line “ACC SUMMER GRANT”:
- A two-page, single space proposal (maximum) concisely describing your research aims and how you plan to carry these out. Please follow these guidelines for your proposal: http://www.ugresearch.umd.edu/mssprojectproposal.php If you have already written a proposal in a different format but with comparable content, you may submit that instead.
- An unofficial UMD transcript; if you are a transfer student at UMD, also include an unofficial transcript from your transfer institution.
- A letter or email from your proposed mentor at an ACC institution supporting your proposed summer research plans. This letter or email should specifically discuss your proposed summer research and make clear the proposed mentor’s role. (This should be sent directly by your proposed mentor at an ACC University to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- One letter or email of support from a UMD faculty member who knows your academic abilities well. (This should be sent directly by the UMD faculty member to email@example.com)
- A list of any other funding opportunities you have applied for (but not heard from by April 18, 2014) that could support this research (e.g. NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates program, etc.)
If you have any questions please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “ACC SUMMER GRANT.”