Interns serve at the MGA for 16-20 hours per week during the spring legislative session (January-April 2018). Their assignments develop invaluable professional skills. In previous sessions, interns researched proposed legislation, responded to constituent mail, organized news conferences, and wrote and delivered testimony. The internship (ENGL388M/HONR379W) conveys six credits.
In the preceding fall semester, students will take a three credit course (ENGL381/HONR368A) which teaches students the skills that the internship will require. In addition, students learn about the MGA and Maryland state politics.
*ENGL 381 satisfies the Professional Writing Requirement for the General Education Program, and *ENGL 388M satisfies one Scholarship in Practice requirement.
Benefits of participating in the program:
- Earn a total of nine upper level credits
- Complete the university’s professional writing graduation requirement
- Satisfy one of the university’s two required Scholarship in Practice courses, at least one of which must be taken outside of your major
- Receive a minimum of $850 as a stipend to help defray travel expenses
- Receive a pass for free parking in the Naval Academy stadium parking lot
- Serve as an undergraduate ambassador to the state government
You can find full information about the program on http://www.english.umd.edu/academics/undergraduate/internships/current/mga-0.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- Junior standing by the end of the Fall 2017 semester
- A grade of B- or better in all writing courses taken at UM
To apply: download an application form from the website. You will need to submit the completed application (including an unofficial copy of your transcript) along with two recommendations ASAP to receive full consideration. The application deadline for your portion of the application is Friday, April 7, 2017. (Recommendations may come later if necessary.) After that, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
If you have additional questions about the program, please contact Karen Lewis at email@example.com.